Monday 18 April 2016

Well, well, well, would you believe it?





Well, well, well, would you believe it?




The Young Clive James




Well, well, well, would you believe it? I've just had an email from Clive James. I'd like to share it with you. This has brought a lot of good cheer to a dull morning in Uxbridge - and helped dispel some understandable depression about St John's Oxford failure to win the University Challenge final last night.



" Hi there Gene,

Yes it's Clive James here. No worries about plagiarism Gene. I'm delighted you have used that quotation from my North Face of Soho memoir. As it happens many people seem to like the volume May Week was in June best, but I have a soft spot for North Face of Soho. I just love your blog, your writing style reminds me very much of my own. As I said no worries about plagiarism - it all comes under fair use  in copyright law. And that's fair dinkum with me.

This friend of yours Detterling seems weird cove. Love the way you take the Michael out of him. Back in school days he is the sort of fat kid that I would love to whang my donger at in Kogarah primary school back in Sydney. Love the way you have described him as the sort of man who would join in with the clap-hands Gloria in church. And the sort of man who would hang in his living room a Jack Vettriano print. Yes, I think we all get the picture.

I liked very much the title of your new memoir: Heaven About us in our Infancy - the Sacred and profane memoirs from infancy to mid teens of Gene Vincent. Are you by any chance a fan of Brideshead Revisited? (Wonderful novel  by the way, and those memories of Charles Ryder are indeed both sacred and profane.)

Anyhow gene, wishing you all the best.

She'll be right Blue. Tie me Kangaroo down Sport.

Clive"
Elegy for a Dead Admiral   ... Jack Vettriano






(Now this email could possibly be a fake and someone is just pulling my leg - but somehow I just don't think so.  GENE)

No comments:

Post a Comment