Saturday 19 February 2022

 Another favourite painting...


Luuk van der Drift   ...   THE PLEADING LEPER  Gospel of Mark 1:40-45


Jesus Heals a Man With Leprosy

40 A man with leprosy[a] came to him and begged him on his knees, “If you are willing, you can make me clean.”

41 Jesus was indignant.[b] He reached out his hand and touched the man. “I am willing,” he said. “Be clean!” 42 Immediately the leprosy left him and he was cleansed.

43 Jesus sent him away at once with a strong warning: 44 “See that you don’t tell this to anyone. But go, show yourself to the priest and offer the sacrifices that Moses commanded for your cleansing, as a testimony to them.” 45 Instead he went out and began to talk freely, spreading the news. As a result, Jesus could no longer enter a town openly but stayed outside in lonely places. Yet the people still came to him from everywhere.

5 comments:

  1. Another interesting painting by an artist that I'm unaware of. Keep them coming Mr Vincent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marianne bought this painting in Amsterdam about 30 years ago.

      I didn't care too much for it initially but over the years it's grown on me to the point where it is now one of my favourite paintings.

      We have never found any information about Luuk van der Drift other than he was associated with the COBRA group of artists.

      Delete
  2. That is most interesting, since I have an interest in Cobra, and well remember visiting the Cobra exhibition in Amsterdam, 1988. I don't recall this artist being mentioned, and must say that the style is not in keeping with most of the Cobra group, but nevertheless - I shall investigate further.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Sir H. Certainly the style is not COBRA - nonetheless this is the only mention of Luuk van der Drift that we came across.

    He died in 1956 and further details of his life may now only be known by the Recording Angel.

    I think it is a wonderful painting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My feeling is that Luuk van der Drift may have been influenced in his painting style by Emil Nolde? Picasso? Karel Appel?

    ReplyDelete