Tuesday 1 August 2023

 OVERHEARD IN HARRIS & HOOLE...

(An occasional feature)




Friday 28th July


Myself, Tony of the Big Saloon, Ducky Duckworth and Mary Winterbourne met up for morning coffee. 

The following was overheard:

GENE: Well everyone thanks for coming. Now we all know that Detterling has been suspended from commenting on my blog. And quite right too. He really crossed the line in what he wrote about my Great-uncle Claude. What he wrote  he did very deliberately. He knows the great affection I held Great-uncle Claude in and how upsetting it is for me to read about him depicted as a promiscuous sodomite frequenting low-life haunts.

What he wrote about the saintly and courageous Father Calvin Robinson was total evil. But the yellow-bellied, lily-livered bottlejob hides behind anonymity so there is nothing Fr Calvin can do.

We are here to decide on the appropriate period for Detterling's suspension.

DUCKY DUCKWORTH: If it were up to me I would suspend him sine die. Freedom of speech is a privilege, not a licence to spread lies and falsehoods.

MARY WINTERBOURNE: But Gene we know you are a merciful soul. Maybe he should be suspended sine die  - but we know you will not take that course. 'The quality of mercy is not strained...'

GENE: Yes Mary. I believe very much in the Doctrine of Original Sin - but I also believe strongly in Redemption. Who knows what contrition has stirred in Detterling's wretched soul since he wrote those appalling falsehoods? 

What do you think would be an appropriate period of suspension Tony?

TONY OF THE BIG SALOON: Maybe we should give him a week's suspension?

GENE:  Fine. On the understanding that he has learned a salutary lesson we will  lift his suspension on Friday 4th August

MARY WINTERBOURNE: How generous of you Gene. Now when we meet again I think we should discuss your untitled 'lockdown novel'. It has been circulating in samizdat fashion and it is much thought of. I find its elegant cadences reminiscent of Brideshead Revisited and The Great Gatsby. I remember it received quite some praise when excerpts were published on the TES Personal Forum.



No comments:

Post a Comment