Wednesday 4 May 2016

Had another email from Clive James...

Had another email from Clive James...





G'Day Gene,




Yes it's Clive here again. I been reading through your blog. Boy can you write? Or Boy can you write?




I note that you will become a full-time writer from 1st January 2017. Good on you cobber! Give it a burl. We need writers like you. As you know I may soon be shuffling off this mortal coil and it gives me a good feeling that someone such as yourself is around to ensure that good and original writing will continue.




I have been absolutely enthralled by Granny Barkes fell in Woolworths. I don't know If you are aware but it is causing quite a buzz in literary circles.

I love the way you handle metaphysical despair. And that ineffable way you have of communicating the effects of ennui. Sometimes I think you are something of an anachronism - that you have been born out of time. I can just see you back in 1920s Paris shooting the breeze at the left bank café tables with the likes of James Joyce, Ernest Hemingway, F Scott Fitzgerald, Ezra Pound, Gertrude Stein et al.

Yesterday arvo I had a conversation about you with Germaine Greer (fine Sheila Germaine no matter what anyone says) and I told her to watch out for your star shooting through the literary firmament very soon.


So, let's sink another tube of Fosters to you Gene.


Tie me kangaroo down Sport. Keep me cockatoo cool.






Clive

Ernest Hemingway



Ezra Pound







James Joyce




No comments:

Post a Comment