Sunday 25 November 2012

Gove blasts the Rotherham Stasi; Downing Street gets into a muddle. Hmm…

 

 

Gove blasts the Rotherham Stasi; Downing Street gets into a muddle. Hmm…

Gove, dashing in Harry Palmer specs, talks robust common sense


Forgive me if I briefly slip into Hannanesque I-told-you-so mode, but in my column this morning I said Michael Gove leads from the front while David Cameron leads from behind.
And now this, from my colleague Patrick Sawer:
Mr Gove said: "Rotherham's reasons for denying this family the chance to foster are indefensible. The ideology behind their decision is actively harmful to children. We should not allow considerations of ethnic or cultural background to prevent children being placed with loving and stable families. We need more parents to foster, and many more to adopt.
"Any council which decides that supporting a mainstream UK political party disbars an individual from looking after children in care is sending a dreadful signal that will only decrease the number of loving homes available to children in need. I will be investigating just how this decision came to be made and what steps we need to take to deal with this situation."
The row took a further twist when No 10 was asked about statements David Cameron made during a radio interview in 2006, in which he described Ukip's members as "fruitcakes, loonies and closet racists, mostly". Downing Street said the Prime Minister had not intended people to understand that he thought all Ukip members were racists.
See what I mean?

No comments:

Post a Comment