Thursday 21 September 2023

 OVERHEARD IN HARRIS & HOOLE...

(An occasional feature)



21st September 2023

Myself and Mary Winterbourne got together this morning in Harris & Hoole:

MARY WINTERBOURNE:  Gene you look so well. Tanned and fit.

GENE:  Yes Mary. That holiday did myself and Marianne a power of good. Marianne works so diligently as a translator - all NHS or Police work. She could earn much more in the corporate world but wants to do something more rewarding - and she does! And I was pretty much exhausted. Hemingway said that writing is about the most strenuous activity a man can undertake. He was right. We had base in a wonderful hotel in Dubrovnik and cruised the Adriatic each day. Wonderful!

MARY WINTERBOURNE: Yes Gene, you both deserved it.

GENE: I came back to wonderful news. Granny Barkes Fell in Woolworths  will be published on Monday 4th December 2023. Just in time for the Christmas market. 

GENE: Congratulations Gene! Any news about your old friend Detterling?

GENE: Nothing. I don't expect Detterling to be around much longer. He's a very old man now. He's 79 by George!

MARY WINTERBOURNE: Well, let's hope he's still around to see the publication of  Granny Barkes Fell in Woolworths.
  
GENE: Yes, I hope so. He'll be green with envy. My one regret is that Waterstones in Uxbridge has closed down. I was hoping to do a book signing there.


2 comments:

  1. Do not imagine that I have stopped checking on this blog, nor will I stop.
    Woe betide you if you publish a single syllable about my family.
    Detterling.

    ReplyDelete