Sunday 3 January 2016

HOW COULD I HAVE BEEN SUCH A PRAT?



HOW COULD I HAVE BEEN SUCH A PRAT?





George Orwell




George Orwell has written “Autobiography is only to be trusted when it reveals something disgraceful. A man who gives a good account of himself is probably lying, since any life when viewed from the inside is simply a series of defeats.”


Readers of this blog will recall that I have written a memoir covering my life from my mid-teens until my mid-twenties... working title: HOW COULD I HAVE BEEN SUCH A PRAT? It certainly does reveal a lot that is disgraceful.  It's all there in agonising detail: my Onan-dominated  'O' Level and 'A' Level years, my dissolute and unhappy years at St John's College Oxford, my belated gap year on London building sites, my absurdly happy PGCE year at St Mary's College, Twickenham [SIMMS] my first years in teaching and of course my disastrous first marriage.


I have assured Marianne that I will never publish this while she is alive. In light of this I am arranging a meeting with my solicitors to arrange that if I predecease Marianne that they arrange to have my memoir published after both of us have deceased and gone heavenwards.


How about you? Are you brave enough to write your autobiography?


Detters, as readers of this blog will also know, has claimed to have nailed down a publisher for his memoir which he claims will be published in April 2016. Ha! Ha! Ha! It's the way he tells 'em. All about as convincing as Andrew Neil's hairline.


And by the way Detters, where is your friend Bigkid, the mummy's boy, these days? He seems to have disappeared without trace.

No comments:

Post a Comment