Monday 26 May 2014

Montparnasse cafes and restaurants in the 1930s and 1940s ... Gene's spiritual home?

Went to the Good Yarn around 9.00pm last night. Saw not a soul to talk to - although the pub was busy. Sat on my own with my Tuborg lost in my thoughts.


One consolation I had was remembering the details of a letter - delivered through the TES PM facility. It was from an admirer who among other things suggested that there should be a Gene Vincent Foundation established  -  to take care of my literary papers, my painting, drawings, sculpture  for posterity. Good idea and I will have a chat with Marianne about this.


Something that this admirer said keeps resonating with me today:


" Gene, I see you as something of an anachronism. I know Uxbridge may be wonderful, but you really belong at the pavement tables of the Montparnasse cafes and restaurants in the 1930s and 1940s. I can see you there holding forth with the leading intellectuals of the day: Sartre, Camus, Beckett, Malraux, Giacometti, Joyce, Hemingway... That's you spiritual home."


Yes, I see his point.


No comments:

Post a Comment