Sunday 15 April 2018

Most of us remember exactly where we were when we heard that Detterling had thrown in the towel in his thirteen-year war with Gene

Most of us remember exactly where we were when we heard that Detterling had thrown in the towel in his thirteen-year war with Gene

 I suppose it's just like the assassination of President Kennedy. Most of us remember exactly where we were when we heard the news that Detterling had thrown in the towel in his thirteen-year war with Gene. It happened Pacific Time on Friday, 29 December 2017.


Image result for karsh kennedy

Perhaps readers could share their experiences of hearing of the shocking news? 

(Continued)

Thank you everyone. Had some interesting responses. Herewith a sample:



We heard about it at lunchtime the next day. Our friend Jean Carruthers  was in the tearoom at the Grand Hotel and saw us as we walked by. She ran out and down the steps gesticulating wildly and shouting, "Have you heard? The war is over!"

We replied in unison, "Good gracious Jean! What are you talking about? What war?"

"The war between Gene and Detterling. It's all over. Detterling threw in the towel yesterday!"

Oh well, it had to happen. 'Victory' is Gene's middle name. Just think of all those times that we heard on the TES Opinion Forum: 'Another victory to Gene'.

Mr & Mrs Anonymous
Torquay



I was awoken in the middle of the night by a phone call giving me the news. I wasn't surprised.  Uncle Detters has always been a total bottlejob.

Detterling's gay nephew



I found out on New Year's Day. My cleaner came in early in the morning to get the house ready for New Year's Day lunch. "Cor luv a duck Mr James," she cooed "that Detterling is a one! He's gone and thrown in the towel. Well, I'll be blowed."  

I think that's the end of Detterling. You won't hear from him again. Not after this humiliation. I always thought he was a yellowbelly. Never struck me as having that 'Ned Kelly' spirit that Gene just exudes.

Tie me kangaroo down Sport. Keep me cockatoo cool.

Clive James



I couldn't possibly comment. 

(Gene, I hope you, I and Fellini can meet up in London one day soon. What larks Gene!)

Delia Detterling



And myself? I was in the Da Remo Italian restaurant in Denham village. 

(to be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment