Monday, 27 July 2026

 


Some time back a lady who knows me through our parish presented me with a copy of this book by Maeve Binchy R.I.P.. She said, "Gene, you are a writer and I expect you read a lot. I would like to make you a gift of this novel by Maeve Binchy." I thought to myself me an intellectual reading Maeve Binchy!

But I read it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Moral: just because you may be an intellectual never look down on anything. 

No wonder her books have sold millions. Give me Maeve Binchy rather than Iris Murdock any day.

6 comments:

  1. Dear God.

    Gene wrote this when clearly pissed out of his head. On the other hand he is such a dreadful writer that this pitiful nonsense may represent the pinnacle of his dismally awful powers of expression.

    The passage is 99 words long and contains 11 eleven orthographic errors, including the outrageous solecism of misspelling Iris Murdoch's family name. She was a writer just as as terrible as Gene, though possessed of an expertise in craftsmanship that fooled some of the people some of the time.

    This post is clearly the work of a man getting perilously near the end of his tether, and in other circumstances I might be inclined to show Gene a degree of mercy. But then I think of the nasty and despicable filth Gene has written about those whom I love, and I remember anew how much I loathe and despise Gene.

    You are an utter bastard, Gene, on whom I would not piss were you on fire.

    But I cannot watch this final disintegration of a mediocre mind without encouraging you to seek psychiatric help as a matter of urgency.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I did have a lot to drink before posting this. So what? I enjoy life.
    And ... would you be honest enough to admit you enjoyed a novel by Maeve Binchy? Methinks you would not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You enjoy life because you are oblivious to your personal nastiness, stomach churning hypocrisy, shallowness of mind and intellectual triviality; that is why you need to get pissed so often. And being pissed out of your mind at 4 in the afternoon is a long way down the slippery slope.

    And your "honesty" about enjoying a novel by Maeve Binchy is nothing of the sort - it is the worst kind of swanking - that is, intellectual slumming and inverted snobbery. I have never read anything by Ms Binchy, but I understand that her popularity among a vast readership was and is very well deserved, and why not?

    Not that your judgement is worth much. As the author of an 8,000 word pamphlet so bad that no publisher would touch it, that you had to pay to see in print, that sold 120 copies in over two years, and that fell off the Amazon Best Sellers list when it reached no 6, 000, 000, you are in the position of a bald man trying to sell hair-restorer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merciful God, protect Gene “Groper” Vincent from the understanding of what a dreadful human being he has become. He is being punished for what he is simply by being what he is and not realising how appalling a fate that is. Preserve him from the terrifying epiphany of seeing himself as others see him. In Jesus’ name we pray.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tie me kangaroo down Sport
    Keep me cockatoo cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merciful God, protect Gene “Groper” Vincent from the understanding of what a dreadful human being he has become. He is being punished for what he is simply by being what he is and not realising how appalling a fate that is. Preserve him from the terrifying epiphany of seeing himself as others see him. In Jesus’ name we pray.

      Delete